Ferrocement Educational Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Need a Book on Ferrocement?
Check out the BOOK REVIEWS on the FEN Website
2708 Posts in 410 Topics by 572 Members
Latest Member: Ross
* Home Help Search Calendar ArchivesFEN Home Login Register
Ferrocement Educational Forum  |  Ferrocement Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Ferrocement over plywood for a floor? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ferrocement over plywood for a floor?  (Read 2098 times)
nathan

« on: January 01, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »

My bathroom floor needs replacing.  I need the new floor to be stiff.  It is currently two layers of plywood,   5/8 plus 3/8 I think and the tile has cracks.  I am wondering if I could put down 5/8 plywood and then a layer of ferrocement.  Does this seem like a good idea?  Would it be stiffer?

I can't make the floor much thicker, can I make a layer of ferrocement 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick?  What metal should I use and would the overlap at the seams make tile impossible?

Thanks,

Nathan
Paul Sarnstrom
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »

Hello Nathan,

The short answer to your question is no, a thin layer of ferrocement will not make your floor stiffer. FC in and of itself is flexible. This is especially true for a layer of FC that is not tied to anything along the edges.

If the existing subfloor is two layers of plywood, 5/8" and 3/8" and you are okay with a 1" thick subfloor, then I'd take up the existing subfloor and replace it with a layer of 1" plywood. When you have removed the existing subfloor then you also need to check and see that the initial cause of cracking is not due to a cracked or other wise moving floor joist. Check that there is sufficient blocking betwen the joists, sufficient that is to prevent any lateral movement of the joists. If the joists are rock solid and you have 1" of plywood it should be plenty stiff for setting tile.

Although it is not generally done, you could use some wire mesh like expanded metal mesh [stucco lath] in a thin layer of mortar and then do your tile bedding mortar on top of that. This would help with crack resistance but you need to address the subfloor issue first.

Paul

Paul Sarnstrom
nathan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »

Thanks Paul, I'm planning to sister the joists, glued and screwed and braced.  I want to make some water tanks and a small shed so I'm looking for little things I can learn something on.  I will find a different project.

Thanks,

Nathan
Paul Sarnstrom
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »

Hi Nathan,

Yeah, that should do it. Usually tile floors don't crack unless the substrate is flexing or shifting. If you do the joists right everything else should come together with the floor.

Paul

Paul Sarnstrom
philb

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »

Nathan,
I would suggest an alternative-
Use backer board to lay the tile with pressure treated plywood underneath. That is, after insuring the joists are good and sturdy and do not move You can use "X" bracing or a piece of wood such as a 2X12 between the joists. The backerboard is available at Home Depot and Lowes. This will expand and contract more closer to tile.
Pages: [1] Print 
Ferrocement Educational Forum  |  Ferrocement Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Ferrocement over plywood for a floor? « previous next »
Jump to: