Ferrocement Educational Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 04:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the NEW Ferrocement Discussion Forum
2840 Posts in 449 Topics by 583 Members
Latest Member: componentfreak
* Home Help Search Calendar ArchivesFEN Home Login Register
Ferrocement Educational Forum  |  Ferrocement Discussions  |  Projects  |  Topic: Shipping container house « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shipping container house  (Read 2176 times)
philb

« on: October 03, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »

As some of you know, I'm building a shipping container house. It's covered on the outside with eps insulation. I'm still moving much slower than I think it should. The photos on G+ detail my experiences with building this structure. I do plan to detail the construction in a year or so.
Basically, there are three containers bolted and welded to each other and a 2 foot tall stem wall. There are several unattached columns underneath the structure to take the bounce out of the floors. They also reduce the bounce from earthquakes that occur daily.
 The eps wall insulation is one foot thick in most locations. It was poured and tamped from the roof. The form to contain the insulation is made from diamond stucco wire mesh wired to cattle panels. I shot the wall from 20 feet away and the 9mm bullet went 11.5 inches deep.

The roof has 2 feet of epscrete on one side and slopes to one foot on the opposite side which gives it a 1/2" to 1 ft. slope. There was a 27 degree F difference between insulated and not insulated this summer.

The roof also sports 7 ten inch skylights. They deserve a post themselves. When the next tornado blows through town, they will blow out to equalize the pressure using a sabot. That was difficult for my little pea brain to calculate!

The entire 1000 square foot house weighs in today at 200,000 pounds. And it still needs hydronically heated floors! It only needed 85,000 pounds to take a 300 mile per hour tornado wind.

So far, 95% of the power is solar. 1880 watts on the roof. I can run my electric mortar mixer all day long and the fridge and freezer 24/7. That beats running the generator at a gallon per hour.
I have taken photos and they are on G+. I have forgotten how to post photos here. You are welcome to poke around.
My eps shredder with 1 and 2 cubic yard bags are on there as well as the walls, roof, foundation and the lifting devices to get 2 yards of Eps above the mortar mixer and onto the roof. I'll post more when i can. Nice to drop in here. I'll be glad to answer any questions but it may take a little while.

https://plus.google.com/117046904784773890726
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:56:58 PM by philb » Logged
W. P. R. D. Weerasinghe

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »

Mr. Philb,
Could you please add a picture,

Thank you,

Regards,

Weerasinghe
philb

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »

Does the link I provided not work? I can't tell as my computer is signed in all the time.
Paul Sarnstrom
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »

Hello Phil,

Thank you for the update on your house. It's great to see how much progress you have made in this major undertaking. I followed the google link you posted and was able to view the photographs. For instructions in posting photos to the FC Forum go to the 'Help' section and Marsha has posted instructions there.

Thanks again Phil, great work!

Paul

Paul Sarnstrom
philb

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »

Thanks Paul,

I'm glad the link works.

There is a poor video there that demonstrates the eps concrete is basically fireproof. I have experimented with the mix and most of its fireproofness can be attributed to flyash. I did get sample pieces to light it with a propane torch, then, self extinguish. I wanted to find the ignition point even though the structure itself is made with more ash than the samples.

Also, the strongest quakes to date have been no higher than about 6.3. I have seen no structural cracks of any kind. The FC remains quite flexible.

The locals are wanting me to insulate their structures also. If I could find a reasonable (less than $5,000) good quality concrete pump that could pump 25 feet, l would consider it.

Paul Sarnstrom
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for sharing the information about your eps mix. I realize you are using it strictly as insulation However I am curious as to the compressive strength of the mix.

I purchased a used, working plaster pump with onboard air compressor, 50' of 2" hose and a spray nozzle 2 years ago for about $2,500. This pump has a 2" output, pumps a maximum 60 cu. ft. per hour but would be small for your needs. I am fairly certain you can find a 2,1/2" or 3" pump unit without compressor that would fit your budget. I mention a unit without a compressor as you don't really need it for pumping mortar but only if you want the unit to spray mortar.

I purchased mine through a company that specializes in selling used spray rigs and they had listings for units in different areas of the country.

Paul

Paul Sarnstrom
philb

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »

Hi Paul,
I'm not sure of the compressive strength. I can tell you I can easily walk on the material.
I do need to test it.
I would be interested in a link or name for a pump. The ones I've seem are $150 plus. A piston pump would suit my needs for years.
Paul Sarnstrom
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »

Hi Phil,

Contact Nolan Scheid at mortarsprayer.com Nolan is an old buddy of mine that knows more about pumping concrete than anyone else I personally know. Nolan knows of equipment wholesalers and helped me find my plaster pump.

Paul

Paul Sarnstrom
Pages: [1] Print 
Ferrocement Educational Forum  |  Ferrocement Discussions  |  Projects  |  Topic: Shipping container house « previous next »
Jump to: