Ferrocement Educational Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 06:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Now you can put photos in your posts.
 See PHOTO TIPS on the HELP ME I'M STUCK  board for more info on how.
2840 Posts in 449 Topics by 583 Members
Latest Member: componentfreak
* Home Help Search Calendar ArchivesFEN Home Login Register
Ferrocement Educational Forum  |  Ferrocement Discussions  |  Projects  |  Topic: Birdbath/feeder/squirrel feeder with hawk excluder « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Birdbath/feeder/squirrel feeder with hawk excluder  (Read 453 times)
componentfreak

« on: July 25, 2017, 12:53:33 AM »

Illustrated is an investigation of lfc as a panel option with intent to develop a component system for housing. This started with test panels to determine best mix and lath configuration.I decided to design and build a birdbath/feeder/separate squirrel feeder with a hawk excluder over the birdbath bowl to test odd shapes and joint performance. Some takeaways:
1) A dry mix ratio of .5,.4 and .1 of sand, portland cement, and kaolinite respectively seemed the best formula.
2)Three layers of lath with an edge layer at perimeter of panel produced the best edge conditions.
3)Cutting the lath was the most difficult aspect of the entire operation, to the extent I investigated substituting lath put through an industrial shredder(same ultimate metal volume, just more resembling oriented strand board than plywood) but was unable to achieve small enough fibers from an industrial shredding company. I will explore plasma cutters in the future as they seem to offer the quickest means of shaping lath pieces.
4)I used a roll of cabinet shelf liner as my form release agent-worked better than linseed oil and other liquid form release agents.
5) I initially used a prophylactic layer of rubber membrane to isolate joints and keep components from rubbing together. It came unglued in half the joints and I wound up designing metal expansion clips to effectively seat the components. This was an imperfect fix and the result wobbled a bit, which necessated a chain wrap at the knee joints-also an imperfect fix but what the heck this was an exploratory model.
6) Constructing the circular planter was difficult, and slots were later gouged in to stabilize the legs.
7)DAP redimix concrete patching compound seemed to work best a treating imperfections. It seems to bond better to dry concrete than mixing a filler of pc with latex.
Janoahsh

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »

Thank you for posting your project.  Do you have any pictures or illustrations that would help to clarify your explanations?
componentfreak

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »

I've tried to insert photos but they don't seem to take. When I try to download images they don't show up. And I can't just copy and paste.
Paul Sarnstrom
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »

Hello All,

If you go to the 'Help Me I'm Stuck' section on the homepage you will find information on posting photos to the forum.

Paul

Paul Sarnstrom
philb

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »

Hello componentfreak,
I have tried cutting metal lathe with numerous items. The simplest and easiest tool I've found is a 10 dollar 4 1/2 inch hand held grinder with a diamond wheel. I use a 2x4 as a guide. You can hang the excess over a table top and clamp the 2x4 down if you want. No more lathe hand scratches from sharp ends. A carorundom wheel will work too if you don't need to be super accurate.
Pages: [1] Print 
Ferrocement Educational Forum  |  Ferrocement Discussions  |  Projects  |  Topic: Birdbath/feeder/squirrel feeder with hawk excluder « previous next »
Jump to: